Step into the ancient world as we delve into the captivating allure of Side Museum, housed within the ruins of a Roman Bathhouse. Located in the heart of Side, Turkey, this hidden gem offers a unique glimpse into the rich history and vibrant culture of the region. Join us on a journey as we explore the wonders of Side Museum, where archaeological treasures come to life and stories of the past unfold before your eyes. Discover the significance of this historical site and prepare to be enthralled by the artifacts that have withstood the test of time.
The Side Museum is one of the most popular cultural attractions and points of interest in Side. The museum is housed at the Side archaeological site, in a 2nd century Roman bathhouse that was converted into a museum in 1959-1961.
Exploring the Side Museum
The Museum exhibits variety of artifacts and findings from the excavations made on the archaeological site.
The Three Beauties Sculpture dating back to 2nd century is a must see piece at the museum. It symbolizes the elegance, beauty and abundance, and represents Hera, Aphrodite and Athena.
Side Museum has a lovely courtyard, that was once part of the gymnasium in the ancient city. Here you can explore and admire;
No Regrets Booking Advice
- Frieze columns and series containing the mythological stories of Poseidon, and the gods and goddesses were depicted with nature,
- Friezes from the Roman Period,
- Tomb inscriptions from the Seljuk Period,
- Column bases and columns,
- Sculptures, mosaic pieces, inscriptions and sarcophagi.
Coins, glass works, oil lamps, jewelry, figurines, ornaments, architraves, ceiling tapes, sundials, altars, well bracelets, olive oil workshops, pediments and amphoras are other pieces that you can see at the indoor exhibit area.
Step into the Side Museum and be greeted by a vast collection of ancient artifacts that tell the stories of civilizations long gone. From intricate statues and beautifully preserved pottery to delicate jewelry and intricately carved reliefs, each artifact offers a glimpse into the daily lives, traditions, and beliefs of the people who once inhabited this ancient city.
Highlights of the Collection
- Mosaic Masterpieces: Admire the stunning mosaic floors that have been painstakingly preserved. These intricate artworks depict mythological scenes, geometric patterns, and glimpses of everyday life, showcasing the artistic talent and attention to detail of the craftsmen of antiquity.
- Statues and Sculptures: Marvel at the lifelike statues and sculptures that grace the halls of the museum. Each piece exudes a sense of realism and captures the spirit and essence of the individuals they represent.
- Roman Coins: Explore the collection of ancient Roman coins, a fascinating testament to the economic and political influence of the Roman Empire. These small but significant artifacts provide valuable insights into the history of trade and commerce in the region.
The Side Museum offers educational exhibits and displays that provide a deeper understanding of the historical and cultural significance of the artifacts. Engage with informative panels, interactive displays, and multimedia presentations that bring the past to life. Learn about the excavation process, the history of Side, and the ongoing efforts to preserve and protect these invaluable treasures.
Unveiling the Roman Bathhouse
A Window into the Past
The Side Museum is nestled within the ruins of a Roman Bathhouse, an architectural marvel that once served as a hub for communal bathing and social gatherings. As you step inside, you’ll be transported back in time, surrounded by the remnants of a bygone era. The bathhouse itself is a testament to the intricate craftsmanship and engineering prowess of the Romans.
Marvel at the architectural grandeur of the Roman Bathhouse, characterized by its elegant columns, meticulously crafted stone walls, and intricate mosaics. The design of the bathhouse showcases the Romans’ commitment to creating harmonious spaces that merged functionality with aesthetic beauty.
Opening Hours and Admission
Side Museum is open [enter opening hours here]. The admission fee for adults is [enter fee here], and children [enter fee here]. Remember to check the official website for the most up-to-date information on opening hours and ticket prices.
Enhance your experience by joining a guided tour of Side Museum. Knowledgeable guides will provide insights into the historical context of the artifacts, share fascinating stories, and answer any questions you may have. Guided tours can be arranged in advance or on-site, depending on availability.
How to Get to Side Museum?
Side Museum is situated right at the seaside of the resort, between the Temple of Apollon and the Roman Amphitheater. About 74 km. from Antalya town center. See the location map.
* You can find loads of day tours available from Antalya town center.
* Alternatively, you can take the public bus to Side.
Address: Side town center, Side/Antalya
Tel: +90 242 753 10 06
Step into the world of ancient civilizations at Side Museum, where the ruins of a Roman Bathhouse serve as a backdrop for an extraordinary collection of artifacts. Immerse yourself in the stories of the past, marvel at the craftsmanship of bygone eras, and gain a deeper understanding of the cultural heritage that has shaped the present. Whether you are a history enthusiast, an art lover, or simply curious about the mysteries of the past, Side Museum offers a captivating journey through time. So, embark on this extraordinary adventure, explore the wonders of Side Museum, and let the ancient ruins whisper their secrets in your ear.