Aspendos can be considered as the best and the most visited sights in the Antalya region, together with other world famous ancient cities of Perge, Phaselis and Temple of Apollo. Here, you’ll find all you need to know when visiting Aspendos, including what to see, how to get, visiting hours and ticket price.
The ancient city of Aspendos is known for its Roman theater dating back to around 161-180 AD. It is also one of the best preserved Roman theater in the World.
One of Turkey’s most visited ancient cities. So what lies behind?
- It was built by architect Zenon between the years 161 and 180.
- During the reign of the Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, as a gift for two rich brothers.
- It has a capacity of 15.000 spectators.
- The impressive construction has allowed it to stand the test of time.
- One of the best preserved Roman theater in the World.
- About 400,000 traveler flock to see this ancient marvel each year.
- Due to its perfect acoustic, it continues hosting concerts.
- Aspendos Opera and Ballet Festival is held here in every summer.
History of Aspendos
Aspendos is known for its great structures, as well as manufacturing of decorative items, furniture, horse breeding and trading during the Antiquity.
The city was one of the most important trade and art centers during the Roman period ( between the 2nd and 3rd centuries).
What to See?
Here you’ll explore the Roman Amphitheater at first sight. Other points of interest and architectural structures include the Stadion, aqueducts, baths, temples, city walls and many other remains.
Aspendos can be explored by two parts that include the Lower and Upper Cities.
The famous Roman theater is situated in the Lower City, together with the other famous structure, the Stadion, where sport events took place during the period.
The Roman Theater of Aspendos is a magnificent structure and also one of the very well-preserved structures in the world. The inscriptions show that it was built during the period of the Roman Empreror Marcus Aurelius (161-180). The theater has an excellent plan and acoustics.
The Acropolis, Agora, Basilica, shops, Monumental Fountain, Odeon building are the remarkable ruins situated in the Upper City.
Top-Rated Aspendos Tours from Antalya
Visiting Hours & Admissions
Open every day between 08:00-19:00 (from 01 April to 01 October), 08:30-17:30 (from 01 October to 01 April).
* 50 TL at ticket window on location
How to Get to Aspendos?
Aspendos is situated at the Belkis village of the Serik district of Antalya. About 45 km. from Antalya town center, on the east. See the location map.
* Alternatively, you can take the public bus to Serik and than transfer to Aspendos from there.
* Or you can take a private taxi but keep in mind that it can be expensive.
Address: Sariabali, Aspendos Road, Serik/Antalya
Tel: +90 242 735 73 37