Are you a history buff? Do you love exploring ancient ruins and learning about the past? If so, a visit to the ancient city of Aspendos and its Roman Theater is a must-see attraction during your trip to Antalya. This historical site is one of the best-preserved ancient theaters in the world and is sure to leave you in awe.
What to Expect?
Aspendos can be considered as the best and the most visited sights in the Antalya region, together with other world famous ancient cities of Perge, Phaselis and Temple of Apollo. Here, you’ll find all you need to know when visiting Aspendos, including what to see, how to get, visiting hours and ticket price.
The ancient city of Aspendos is known for its Roman theater dating back to around 161-180 AD. It is also one of the best preserved Roman theater in the World.
One of Turkey’s most visited ancient cities. So what lies behind?
- It was built by architect Zenon between the years 161 and 180.
- During the reign of the Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, as a gift for two rich brothers.
- It has a capacity of 15.000 spectators.
- The impressive construction has allowed it to stand the test of time.
- One of the best preserved Roman theater in the World.
- About 400,000 traveler flock to see this ancient marvel each year.
- Due to its perfect acoustic, it continues hosting concerts.
- Aspendos Opera and Ballet Festival is held here in every summer.
History of Aspendos
The ancient city of Aspendos was founded by the Greeks in the 5th century BC and later came under Roman rule. During the Roman era, the city flourished and the Roman Theater was built to entertain the masses.
No Regrets Booking Advice
Despite earthquakes and other natural disasters, the theater has remained remarkably intact, a testament to the ingenuity of its ancient builders.
What to See?
When you visit the ancient city of Aspendos, there are several must-see attractions. Of course, the Roman Theater is the main draw, with its massive stone arches and sweeping views of the surrounding countryside. You can explore the theater from top to bottom, taking in the stage, orchestra pit, and seating areas.
Beyond the theater, the ancient city of Aspendos boasts other ruins that are worth exploring. These include a stadium, where ancient athletes competed in foot races and other events, and an agora, a public square where locals would gather to trade goods and socialize.
You’ll explore the Roman Amphitheater at first sight. Other points of interest and architectural structures include the Stadion, aqueducts, baths, temples, city walls and many other remains.
Aspendos can be explored by two parts that include the Lower and Upper Cities.
The famous Roman theater is situated in the Lower City, together with the other famous structure, the Stadion, where sport events took place during the period.
The Roman Theater of Aspendos is a magnificent structure and also one of the very well-preserved structures in the world. The inscriptions show that it was built during the period of the Roman Empreror Marcus Aurelius (161-180). The theater has an excellent plan and acoustics.
The Acropolis, Agora, Basilica, shops, Monumental Fountain, Odeon building are the remarkable ruins situated in the Upper City.
Aspendos is located in the Serik district of Antalya, about 40 kilometers east of the city center.
The ancient city of Aspendos is open daily from 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM.
* check prices from muze.gov.tr
- Wear comfortable shoes as the terrain can be uneven and rocky.
- Bring sunscreen and a hat, as there is little shade in the ancient city.
- Consider visiting in the early morning or late afternoon to avoid the midday heat and crowds.
- Bring water and snacks, as there are limited food and drink options on site.
Top-Rated Aspendos Tours from Antalya
How to Get to Aspendos?
Aspendos is situated at the Belkis village of the Serik district of Antalya. About 45 km. from Antalya town center, on the east. See the location map.
The easiest way to reach the ancient city of Aspendos is by car or taxi. If you’re staying in Antalya, you can also book a guided tour that includes transportation to and from the site.
* Alternatively, you can take the public bus to Serik and than transfer to Aspendos from there.
* Or you can take a private taxi but keep in mind that it can be expensive.
Address: Sariabali, Aspendos Road, Serik/Antalya
Tel: +90 242 735 73 37